We’ve got you covered if you want to learn more about what it takes to pass the Dentist Licensure Board Exam to get your license.
This article will cover everything you need to understand about the board exam, from the schedule to the qualifications. Having said that, if you’re interested and would like to know everything, keep reading.
- Who is a Dentist?
- What is the Dentist Licensure Board Examination?
- Licensure Requirements for the Dentist Board Examinations
- Dentist Licensure Exam Online Application Process
- Dentist Board Exam Coverage
- Written Examination
- General and Oral Anatomy and Physiology
- General and Oral Pathology, General and Oral Microscopic Anatomy and Microbiology
- Restorative Dentistry and Public Health and Community Dentistry
- Prosthetic Dentistry (Crown and Bridge, Removable Partial Denture and Complete Denture and Dental Materials)
- Roentgenology, Oral Diagnosis, and Oral Surgery
- Anesthesiology and Pharmacology
- Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics
- Dental Jurisprudence, Ethics and Practice Management
- Periodontics and Endodontics
- Practical Examination
- Written Examination
- Dentist Board Exam Schedule
- What to bring on the day of the Dentist Licensure Exam
Who is a Dentist?
Dentists are highly educated professionals who assist with treating teeth and mouth. One of the most essential duties of a dentist is to promote proper oral health. This aids in preventing complications in your mouth or other areas of the body.
A dentist also diagnoses and addresses gum, tooth, and mouth conditions. Dentists conduct dental operations using advanced technologies and instruments such as X-ray devices, lasers, drills, brushes, scalpels, and other surgical supplies. To avoid spreading germs or bacteria, they often wear protective clothing such as gloves, goggles, and safety glasses.
Among the most frequent dental duties are:
- People are being educated about oral hygiene.
- Cavity filling
- removing dental plaque or erosion
- Repairing or removing missing teeth
- X-rays and diagnostics are being checked
- Providing anesthesia
- Adding fillings or sealants
- Examining the development of teeth and jawbones
What is the Dentist Licensure Board Examination?
The PRC is the official body in charge of all licensing exams in the country, except the Philippine Bar Exam, which the Supreme Court conducts. Largely, the PRC is in a position to conduct the Dentists Licensure Exams routinely.
Applicants must meet the qualifications listed below to take the Dentists’ licensure exams.
To preserve the practice’s credibility, qualifying candidates and prospective practitioners who wish to take the license examination must meet these rigorous applicant registration criteria.
Licensure Requirements for the Dentist Board Examinations
All prospective Dentists must be a graduate of Doctor in Dental Medicine and present the following requirements upon the filing of application:
- Transcript of Records with scanned picture and remarks “For Board Examination Purposes.”
- Valid NBI Clearance (First Timers & Repeaters)
- NSO / PSA Marriage Contract (for married female applicants)
- NSO / PSA Birth Certificate
- A refresher course is mandatory for examinees who failed the examination three times.
- PHP 900 for Written Exam
- PHP 400 for Practical Exam
Take note: Only applicants who pass the Theoretical Phase will take the Practical Phase and pay P400.00.
Dentist Licensure Exam Online Application Process
The Professional Regulation Commission’s online LERIS platform provides a simple electronic mechanism for any applicant’s preliminary scheduling, making it incredibly easy to set up an appointment. The PRC strongly urges all applicants to create their desired schedules online before sending their documentary criteria to a provincial or PRC satellite office near them – as they will not be entertained without a prior schedule.
If you cannot register due to technical problems, our step-by-step solution will help. Still, unless you’re already experienced with the protocol, you can go to the PRC LERIS website for faster registration.
Dentist Board Exam Coverage
The Dentist Licensure Examination consists of two main aspects: the Written and Practical Exam. We’ll go over the specifics one by one:
General and Oral Anatomy and Physiology
General and Oral Pathology, General and Oral Microscopic Anatomy and Microbiology
Restorative Dentistry and Public Health and Community Dentistry
Roentgenology, Oral Diagnosis, and Oral Surgery
Anesthesiology and Pharmacology
Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics
Dental Jurisprudence, Ethics and Practice Management
Periodontics and Endodontics
Class II Amalgam Examination
- Ideal Class || Cavity – preparation on two posterior teeth
- The indicated (1) posterior tooth with cavity preparation will be filled up with Dental Amalgam (Typodont).
Fixed Partial Denture Examination
Preparation of two abutments (anterior or posterior) for the reception of a Porcelain Fused to Metal Fixed Partial Denture (Typodont).
Removable Partial Denture Design Examination
- Bring your own maxillary and mandibular casts (dental stone) taken from a live patient with a full complement of teeth (full dentition). Properly based and trimmed.
- Knock down the missing teeth on the master cast to be indicated before the start of the examination. Round off and smoothen the edentulous areas properly.
- Using a surveyor, survey the possible abutment teeth. Place tripod marks on the cast.
- Design a Bilateral One Piece Casting Removable Partial Denture on the Master Cast.
- Transfer Design on the top answer sheet (one answer sheet only).
- Make Laboratory Prescription (Work Authorization) on the top answer sheet (one answer sheet only).
- Make a wax pattern. Prefabricated wax patterns are strictly not allowed.
Dentist Board Exam Schedule
The Dentist Licensing Board examinations are normally conducted at least once a year, according to the Professional Regulation Commission.
Please be reminded that the deadline for filing applications for the Dentist Board Exam will be April 4, 2022.
The dates of examination for the Dentist Board Exam for the written category are on May 4, 5, & 6, 2022. While the dates of the practical dentist board exam are on May 8-15, 2022.
This schedule outlines when and how candidates should apply for the Dentist Board Exam.
Due to the severity of the pandemic, you can also access the official Commission website regularly for more up-to-date information and advice if you have any problems or doubts about taking the license exam.
What to bring on the day of the Dentist Licensure Exam
The PRC reminds all examinees to bring the following on the day of their licensure examination:
- Notice of Admission
- Applicant’s stub and Official Receipt
- One piece of metered-stamped Window Mailing Envelope
- Two or more pencils (No. 2)
- Ballpen with black in only
- One-piece Long Brown Envelope
- One-piece Long Transparent (non-colored) Plastic Enveloped (for keeping your valuables and other allowed items)
The following items listed are not allowed inside the examination room. Your assigned proctor will ask you to leave these items outside the testing room:
- Books, notes, review materials, and other printed materials containing coded data/information/formula
- Programmable calculators
- Cellular phones
- Portable computers
- Other electronic gadgets/devices which may be used for communication purposes
- Bags of any kind (place your documents inside the transparent/plastic envelope)
- Other examination aides not stated in this program